Tuesday, April 26, 2022

We are strong. We are powerful. We are brave.

The Female Cyclist: A rare species, hardly seen in nature. They are a reserved and timid breed, only exploring their natural habitat when there is little fear….

ERRRRRRRR (queue record scratch) WHAT!?!?! 

No no no, let’s get this straight. Women are STRONG, POWERFUL, and BRAVE. We are constantly jumping over barriers set before us and constantly destroying the classifications and titles set upon us. We need each other more than ever, especially as we strive toward equality in every space.

I'm Tuesday Vander Weide, the manager of Spoke-n-Sport on Cliff Avenue near Tuthill Park. I'm a cyclist, a bike racer, a woman, and a lover of all things two-wheeled. 


That is why I decided to create a Women’s Ride Series for Spoke-n-Sport. I wanted to create a safe space for women and those who identify as women to ride bikes together. A ride without judgment where we can express ourselves, try new things, fail in comfort, and branch out in our cycling journey in ways we haven’t had the opportunity to before.

I can only say personally how cycling has changed my life for the better. It has made me strong, confident, not afraid to take chances, and gives me something to continue to work towards year in and year out. I have made the best friends of my life in the cycling community and have seen so much beauty and growth between us all.

The amount of support I have received and been able to give is the reason I keep striving and I truly believe this experience should be easy to access for all. I am so thankful to Spoke-n-Sport for opening this door to such an amazing opportunity. 

So, why a series?

Easy! I wanted to have an opportunity to cover as many types of riding as I could in ways that would allow for growth outside of the rides. There are loads of cycling opportunities in Sioux Falls like racing with Sioux Falls Bike Racing, touring with RASDak, bikepacking with SNS and more.

In an attempt to bring these opportunities as close to each other as possible, I paired the gravel and mountain bike rides to coincide with the Sioux Falls Bike Racing Series.

In these rides we will follow the courses of the races in a casual setting. We will cover skills and obstacles in a fun and safe way so if someone were interested in racing, nothing would be able to hold them back.

Additionally, we have a 40 mile rolling hills road ride for those interested in bike touring and endurance riding. There was a fat bike ride earlier this year to encourage more folks to stay active all winter long.

And this fall, there are women-specific cyclocross clinics with our ambassador Jacqueline Palfy. Trust me, you don’t want to miss it. Cyclocross is the most fun you can have on two wheels! 

Alright, I am convinced. Where do I find these rides?

Check out our Facebook, Instagram, and website snsbikes.com for all of the events we have on the schedule. We have loads of things in the works all year long so keep your eyes peeled for other adventures!

Our next women’s ride is Sunday May 1st at 5pm! We are leaving from the Fernson Brewery (not the taproom downtown) at 1400 E. Robur Dr. We will be following the SFBR gravel race course. It is beautiful! It is open to all riders and all abilities and we cannot wait to see you! 


No comments:

Post a Comment