Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Meet Spoke-n-Sport ambassador Jacqueline Palfy

 

The Spoke-n-Sport ambassadors are cycling enthusiasts who lead rides, conduct clinics and represent the shop in our community.

Going into the warm months of 2022, it's time to introduce this year's ambassadors. We'll post a short Q&A to introduce - or reintroduce - them to our Spoke-n-Sport universe.

Today is Jacqueline Palfy. 

Question: What does the word ambassador mean to you?

Answer: To me, ambassador means represent. I see my role with Spoke-n-Sport as serving as a representative not only of the shop, but also of women in cycling, my community and all of our local trails and events. I believe in my role, and I am proud to represent SnS. I know how much they care about their customers and the community, and I always know when I point people toward them, they will always find the help they need. Bike shops can be intimidating, and I see my job as helping people find a connection to the local shop and cycling in general. 

Q: What’s your favorite cycling memory?

A: I have so many awesome cycling memories, it's difficult to pick one. The day my son went from his Strider to a two-wheel bike - no training wheels! The many times my daughter and I have mountain biked through Tuthill. All the cyclocross racing we have done as a family. Riding on my sister's handlebars as a kid. While I like to compete, many of my best memories are of recreational rides with the people I love. Being on a bike always makes me feel like a kid again.

Q: What is one thing to know about you?

A: I'm terrible at remembering names, so please forgive me if I have to ask you more than once. 

Q: What do you have planned for this year?

A: My focus with rides this year is really to make a space for women and girls and families in a variety of ways. I plan to do beginner mountain bike rides with John Gruber on the last Sunday of every month. 

I will run a youth girls mountain bike clinic along with the shop's women's mountain bike ride - my 11-year-old daughter will join me. We really want to encourage girls to get involved, and we'll do that with some simple and fun single-track rides. 

Every year, I run three cyclocross clinics to prepare people for the upcoming race season. This year, I'll add a women and girls only clinic. At every clinic, we work on a few basic skills, learn a few new ones, and practice something specific to an upcoming race. I am passionate about cyclocross, with my role in the shop and also my role as a member of the Parallel 44 Racing team, in particular the women's and juniors fields. 

I encourage anyone who is interested to reach out to me - I'm happy to meet or talk one-on-one to answer any questions. I always say, with 'cross, you can do it better, but you can't do it wrong. That's why it is so fun. I also love that the whole family can participate. It's important to me that our kids see us being active and involved, and they see that as a normal part of family and community life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment