Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Where to Look to Find the Perfect Bike

Imagine you are standing at the edge of a cliff. At the base of this cliff are all your friends, two wheeled childhood memories, and beer...lots of beer. Behind you though, is certain death. Staring into the depths is so intimidating, maybe to some even down right terrifying but it is better than what lies behind, did I mention...certain death? You know you want what lies below but not how you get there from where you are with as little bodily injury as possible? I often imagine this is what it's like for someone walking into a bike shop for the first time.

Okay okay, maybe I am over exaggerating a tiny bit but I think we can all agree that specialty stores in any realm are extremely intimidating. For this blog post I tried to forget everything I've come to learn about bikes and start from scratch. In this day and age that usually means heading to the most reliable and honest source...the Internet. I wanted to really try and understand how real the struggle for a new cyclist.

What I found on the world wide web was nothing short of confusing. Cyclists, mechanics, and bike nerds unite to tell you what you need in one of two ways; either dumbing it down to vague categories and/or misleading information, or using terms and statistics that someone new to the riding world would have no chance in understanding. Don't get me wrong, I love that we can share so much information so easily, but all of this research kept pointing me to the same answer...find your local bike shop and ask them. I know this sounds like a shameless self promotion but hear me out.

First, we are humans so you don't need to figure out an impossible CAPTCHA to contact someone with a question. Second, we have a ton of knowledge first hand on what works best for all sorts of riding. We have been through the worst of the worst to help you avoid blisters, numb hands, and uncomfortable riding posture. Third, you are supporting a local business and involving yourself in the local community. By investing in that shop they can get a much more realistic and honest opinion of what the customers want and it gives us the opportunity to serve you! To find out your actual wants and needs, what you know and what you still want to know, where you see yourself riding this year and years down the road. Modern day media and resources promote a very "do it yourself" attitude and what I've learned in my own personal journey as a mechanic and cyclist is that I have needed every single persons help to get where I am now.


We not only get to have the chance to talk about fit and function of the bike, but we also get to talk about future goals, family, motivations and answer all the questions you could have spent hours online digging for. I have seen kids hug the sales people and couples walk out the door with huge smiles on their faces because they weren't just sold "a bike" they had an experience with a genuine person that wants to see them exploring their full potential. It is our job to help you find YOUR bike, to break down all those types and tire sizes and to give you confidence and knowledge to take with you.



Lastly I want to say that no one at a good bike shop wants to see someone riding a bike that makes them miserable. To us especially at Spoke-n-Sport we LOVE to see our customers LOVE the bike they choose, everything else comes second to that. So in the end this post isn't to share some secret formula to find "the perfect bike" but to remind you of all of your options when diving in. Yes there are brands upon brands and categories upon categories and that will probably never change, the point I am trying to make is that we don't want to watch you fall from the cliff, we want to jump right along with you.

XO Tuesday





No comments:

Post a Comment